As I stumble along the road to publication, hitting many bumps and hills along the way, I keep receiving encouraging phrases, anecdotes, and words of advice.
Here’s a list of the top ten:
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” (A Wayne Gretzky quote)
- “Look at how many times J.K. Rowling was rejected!”
- “Stephen King’s wife pulled Carrie out of the trash because he’d been rejected so many times that he’d thrown it away.”
- “You’ve got this!”
- “It’s all part of the process”
- “Keep swinging”
- “They’re not all going to be hits”
- “It’s all so subjective, not personal”
- “It’s better to have no agent than a bad agent”
- “It only takes one yes!”
Number ten, by far, is the one I’m holding out for––one yes––that IS all it takes. Often times, I liken it to selling a house: Droves of people may come and look, but you only need one buyer. Same goes for publishing; I only need one.
And as I wrote the above list, I laughed at how many phrases are sports related––30% of them. I guess athletes can inspire us to be the best versions of ourselves. Their words are powerful and teach us the importance of hard work and dedication, lessons that carry over into our everyday lives.
If I missed any of your favorite motivational quotes or anecdotes (sports related or not), feel free to share them in the comments!